THORN TREES: PILOT EPISODE
A new twist on the truth behind the Salem Witch Trials
Drama · Period · Crime · Epic · Historical · Faith & Spirituality · Female Protagonist
Comps: Good Witch (Hallmark) | Vikings (History) | True Detective (HBO) | Salem (WGN America)
Logline: A grieving witch recruits a repentant witch-hunter in Elizabethan England to help save her family from a corrupt Bishop.
Synopsis (From RACHEL GARE’S, the Protagonist’s Point-of-View): I hoped my family would be safe in the village of Aelbank, though I kept a bag packed in case the militia from my previous village showed up seeking me, Rachel Gare. My husband’s death occurred due to self-defense to escape his beatings. My sister Lizbet and her family fled with me. It was fairly easy as witchcraft-practicing Pagans to live among the Christians who listened to Pastor Joseph in church, and sought my sister Lizbets’ healings—and my visions—behind his arrogant, pompous back. Suddenly, everyone I love is in danger.
You’re invited to become a content contributor to Rachel’s Gazette (Rachel is the main character and protagonist in our story.)
GET TO KNOW RACHEL, the lead character/female protagonist in Thorn Trees, before she comes to life in the pilot for our series. Through Rachel’s Gazette, she and you will have the opportunity to give voice to those who have lived for generations under religious & spiritually restrained and hypocritical systems. Discover more about RACHEL’S GAZETTE.
WHY ARE WE PRODUCING THORN TREES?
We decided to indie produce ourselves after pitching and discovering that the entertainment industry is attached to a tradition of witch-based stories being either horror or fantasy, that perpetuates stereotypes that are disrespectful and maintain prejudice–that very often includes metaphysical practitioners, shamans and other lightworkers as recipients. We are committed to not going down that path.
One of our producers is a Wiccan High Priestess & pipe carrier. Another is a healing artist, pipe carrier, and is a Christian ordained minister. We practice many faiths and walk different spiritual paths among us–respectful of each other, committed to telling a realistic story about a Pagan family led by a strong, female protagonist.
Join us as a Producer, Investor, Distributor, Influencer or Supporter!
Discover More About Our Director, Creators, Screenwriter & Producers
– Lili Bordán (Director), California & New York, U.S.A./Hungary
– Bruce Nahin (Co-Producer), California, U.S.A.
– Meta Valentic (Line Producer), California, U.S.A.
– Bernadette Montana (Producer), New York, U.S.A.
– Jacob Larch (Creator, Screenwriter, Producer), England, U.K.
– Valerie Mich’El Oliver (Creator, Producer), New Jersey, U.S.A.
– Lyndsy Spence (Consulting Producer), Ireland, U.K.
– Tyra Thomason (Assistant Producer), New Jersey, U.S.A.
– William Ward (Assistant Producer), Virginia, U.S.A.
– Rachel Kaufman (Assistant Producer, Intern), New Jersey, U.S.A.
– Jake Samieske (Assistant Producer, Intern), New Jersey, U.S.A.
– Molly Shilling (Assistant Producer, Intern), Ohio, U.S.A.
– Alisha Solaiman (Assistant Producer, Intern), Maryland, U.S.A.
– Angela White (Assistant Producer, Intern), Virginia, U.S.A.
– Abby DeLaine (Associate Producer), Florida, U.S.A.
Need to chat with one of the producer’s? Please be sure to put THORN TREES in the Subject field of your email:
Jacob Larch (Creator, Screenwriter, Producer, U.K.)
Valerie Mich’El Oliver (Originator, Creator, Producer, U.S.)
Bernadette Montana (Producer, U.S.)
See The Pursuit Studio’s projects on the Internet Movie Database profile (free to view), or on the Pro profile on the IMDb (requires a paid IMDb account).